Signs and symptoms of encopresis may include:
- Leakage of stool or liquid stool on your child's underwear. If the amount of leakage is large, you may misinterpret it as diarrhea.
- Constipation with dry, hard stool.
- Passage of large stool that clogs or almost clogs the toilet.
- Avoidance of bowel movements.
- Long periods of time between bowel movements, possibly as long as a week.
- Lack of appetite.
- Abdominal pain.
- Repeated urinary tract infections.
When to see a doctor
Call your doctor if your child is already toilet trained and starts experiencing one or more of the symptoms listed above.