Signs and symptoms of lice include:
- Intense itching.
- Tickling feeling from movement of hair.
- Lice on your scalp, body, clothing, or pubic or other body hair. Adult lice may be about the size of a sesame seed or slightly larger.
- Lice eggs (nits) on hair shafts. Nits resemble tiny pussy willow buds. Nits can be mistaken for dandruff, but unlike dandruff, they can't be easily brushed out of hair.
- Small, red bumps on the scalp, neck and shoulders.
When to see a doctor
Usually you can get rid of lice by taking self-care steps that include using nonprescription shampoo that's specifically formulated to kill lice.
However, see your doctor if:
- Nonprescription shampoo doesn't kill the lice — your doctor can prescribe a stronger, prescription shampoo
- You're pregnant — don't use any anti-lice shampoo until you talk to your doctor
- You have any infected hives or skin abrasions from scratching