Pain is the first symptom of patellar tendinitis, usually between your kneecap and where the tendon attaches to your shinbone (tibia).
The pain in your knee may:
- At first be present only as you begin physical activity or just after an intense workout
- Worsen until it interferes with playing your sport
- Eventually interfere with daily movements such as climbing stairs or rising from a chair
When to see a doctor
For knee pain, try self-care measures first, such as icing the area and temporarily reducing or avoiding activities that trigger your symptoms.
Call your doctor if your pain:
- Continues or worsens
- Interferes with your ability to perform routine daily activities
- Is associated with swelling or redness about the joint