Thrombocytopenia symptoms may include:
- Easy or excessive bruising
- Superficial bleeding into the skin that appears as a rash of pinpoint-sized reddish-purple spots (petechiae), usually on the lower legs
- Prolonged bleeding from cuts
- Spontaneous bleeding from your gums or nose
- Blood in urine or stools
- Unusually heavy menstrual flows
- Profuse bleeding during surgery or after dental work
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you.
Bleeding that won't stop is a medical emergency. Seek immediate help if you experience bleeding that can't be controlled by usual first-aid techniques, such as applying pressure to the area.