Dr Swapna Misra held the position of Registrar at Government Medical College and Hospital, Sector 32, Chandigarh, after which she joined ESI Model Hospital, Chandigarh as Obstetrician and Gynaecologist. Dedicated and patient centric, Dr Misra is trained in high risk Obstetrics, normal deliveries, LSCS, painless deliveries and complicated deliveries. Dr Misra is also trained in handling all gynaecological and laparoscopic procedures such as gynaecological cancers, Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH), Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgeries (SILS) and huge fibroids. She is well trained in fetal medicine, endo suturing with total laparoscopic hysterectomy, laparoscopic cancer surgeries and laparoscopic removal of fibroids.
She is a certified trainer for water birthing and pain free labor. She has received training in advanced gynecology cancer laparoscopic surgery, from IRCAD in Taiwan. She is also a certified laparoscopic surgeon for difficult gynecology surgery.
Medical Education, Certifications and fellowships/Research Papers: Dr Misra completed her MBBS from B.J Medical College, Pune in the year 1995 and MD from Kasturba Hospital, Delhi University, in the year 2001. Dr Misra passed her DNB from PGI, Chandigarh, in 2001, followed by MNAMS qualification in 2002.
Clinical Interests/ Specialised Treatments /Area of Expertise:
Complicated Obstetrics, Fetal medicine, difficult mymectomies and hysterectomy, gynaecological cancer surgeries, Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy (LAVH) and Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgeries (SILS).
Research and Publications:
- Single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS) Ovarian Cystectomy in large benign ovarian cysts using conventional instruments. Journal of Minimal Access Surgeons 2011; 7:232-5
- Spontaneous Left main Coronary Artery dissection in Pregnancy – Best poster, World Congress of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Dehradun, April 2012.
Medical Breakthroughs/ Interesting Case Studies:
- A patient with obstetrics complication, referred from other hospital, underwent complicated redo surgery. She required 50 units of blood and blood products and could be saved.
- Large ovarian tumor weighing 10 kilogram removed from a young girl aged 16 years.
- One of the first physicians to use Single Incision Laparoscopy for removal of ovarian tumor in this part of country.
- Introduced the concept of presence of husband during child birth in the labor room in this region and also in operation theatre.
- Started total laparoscopic hysterectomy with complete endo suturing.