Allergy shots may be a good treatment choice for you if:
- Medications don't control your symptoms well, and you can't avoid the things that cause your allergic reactions
- Allergy medications interact with other medications you need to take or cause bothersome side effects
- You want to reduce your long-term use of allergy medication
- You're allergic to insect stings
Allergy shots can be used to control symptoms triggered by:
- Seasonal allergies. If you have seasonal allergic asthma or hay fever symptoms, you may be allergic to pollens released by trees, grasses or weeds.
- Indoor allergens. If you have year-round symptoms, you may be sensitive to indoor allergens, such as dust mites, cockroaches, mold, or dander from pets such as cats or dogs.
- Insect stings. Allergic reactions to insect stings can be triggered by bees, wasps, hornets or yellow jackets.
Allergy shots aren't available for food allergies or chronic hives (urticaria).