TUMT is a treatment to ease urinary symptoms and complications resulting from blocked urine flow, generally from smaller, highly selected prostate patients, such as:
- Frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Increased frequency of urination at night (nocturia)
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- The feeling you can't completely empty your bladder
- Urinary tract infections
TUMT improves urinary flow in some, but not all, men. This procedure is generally more effective than are medications at improving urine flow, but less effective than surgical methods, such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), HoLEP and open simple prostatectomy. It may take some time, from weeks to months, to see the results of the procedure.
However, TUMT has several advantages over surgery:
- It can be done on an outpatient basis, so an overnight hospital stay isn't necessary.
- It doesn't require general or spinal anesthesia.
- It has a lower risk of causing heavy bleeding.
- It's less likely to cause erectile dysfunction or other sexual side effects.
- It's an option for men who need to avoid surgery because of other health problems.