TUNA is used to ease urinary symptoms and complications resulting from blocked urine flow, such as:
- Frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Increased frequency of urination at night (nocturia)
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- The feeling you can't completely empty your bladder
- Urinary tract infections
A number of procedures are available to treat BPH. In the long term, TUNA may be less effective than surgical options, such as transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) and open prostatectomy. But TUNA has several advantages over traditional surgery:
- It's typically done without an overnight hospital stay (on an outpatient basis).
- It's less likely to cause bleeding and other complications than does surgery.
- It may be a safer alternative if surgery isn't a good choice for you because of certain other health problems.
- It is less likely to cause difficulty holding urine (urinary incontinence) than is surgery.