Dengue Fever can be Devastating
Dengue is caused after the bite of a specific type of mosquito which preferentially attacks during the day.
The usual Signs and Symptoms are:
High fever (3-7 days).
Painful joints and muscles.
Pain behind eyes.
Often a rash which may appear as fever reduces.
Dangerous complications that can occur? are hemorrhagic
or shock syndrome.
Dengue Fever Treatment:
No specific treatment ? no curative drug is available.
Take complete rest
Drink plenty of fluids orally
Do?not?use aspirin (salicyclic?acid), ibuprofen or nimesulide to bring down fever.
Closely WATCH for bleeding from any site
? Rush to hospital:
Prevention by using a combination of following measures:
- if fever is high grade and not settling
- persisting vomiting or severe abdominal pain
- immense lethargy or restlessness
- or if any of the following signs appear
- Blood spots under the skin (petechiae).
- Bleeding from gums.
- Nose bleeding (epistaxis).
- Vomiting blood (hematemesis)
- low Blood Pressure
- Alarming Laboratory parameters include
- Increase in HCT concurrent with rapid decrease in platelet count
- Co-existing conditions
- Diabetes mellitus, hypertension,
- Peptic ulcer, haemolitic anemias and others
- Effective Mosquito Control by not allowing water to stagnate anywhere around
- Wear full sleeve clothes
- Use of Mosquito repellant creams when outdoors during daytime.
- Get Flywire/screening fixed on doors and windows.
- Use insecticides regularly especially in the morning hours ? behind & underneath the furniture, curtains etc.