Dr. Gomatam Raghavan Vijay Kumar
Fortis Hospital Anandapur, Kolkata
Neuro & Spine Surgery
Dr G.R.Vijay Kumar is a renowned Neurosurgeon with over 20 years of experience. Dr Kumar is an adept in all disciplines of Brain and Spine Surgery including Brain tumor surgery among adult, as well as pediatric and Neonatal, endoscopic surgery, microvascular decompression surgery Microdiscectomy, Degenerative disc disease, cervical disc lesions etc.
- Lyall H, Kumar V, Constant CR: “The absent radial pulse in supracondylar fracture of the humerus: pulse oximetry or Doppler probe?”. International Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 1992.
- Kumar V, Harkness W, Gadian D, Connelly A: “Intra-operative confirmation of functional MRI of motor cortex”. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 1994
- Casey ATH, O’Brien M, Kumar V, Hayward R, Crockard H A: “Don’t twist my child’s head off - Iatrogenic cervical dislocation”. BMJ 1995
- Kumar V, Phipps K, Hayward R: “Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt requirement in children with posterior fossa tumours: an eleven-year audit”. British Journal of Neurosurgery 1996.
- Burton BJL, Kumar GRV, Bradford R: "Granular cell tumour of the spinal cord in a patient with Rubenstein-Taybi syndrome". British Journal of Neurosurgery 1997
- Book Review on "Principles of Spinal Surgery", Editors: Arnold H Menezes & Volker KH Sonntag. AANS/CNS Joint Section on Spine and Peripheral Nerves. Newsletter September, 1997.
- GRV Kumar, RS Maurice-Williams, R Bradford: “Cervical foraminotomy: An effective treatment for cervical spondylotic radiculopathy”. British Journal of Neurosurgery 1998;
- Vijay GR Kumar, Gary L Rea, Lawrence J Mervis, John M McGregor: “Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy: Functional and radiological long-term outcome after laminectomy and posterior fusion”. Neurosurgery 1999.
- Lane S, Kumar GRV, Mervis LJ, Rhodes D: “Lessons from atypical groin pain: Presentation and treatment of a schwannoma”. Physician and Sportsmedicine 1999.
- Vijay GR Kumar & Gary L Rea: Suboccipital craniectomy and cervical laminectomy for chiari malformation. Book chapter in Richard Fessler & Laligam N Sekhar (Eds.) Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, Thieme Medical Publishers Inc. (To be published).
- Vijay GR Kumar & Gary L Rea: Posterior occipitocervical fusion and stabilization using bent titanium rods and cables. Book chapter in Richard Fessler & Laligam N Sekhar (Eds.) Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques, Thieme Medical Publishers Inc. (To be published)
- V. G. R. Kumar, Christopher Madden, Gary L Rea: Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy. Book Chapter in Youmans Neurological Surgery, Fifth Edition 2004.
- GR Vijay Kumar: Spinal Intradural and Meningeal Tuberculosis: Book chapter in the ASSI Textbook of Spinal Injury and Infection, Ist Edition, 2011. Ed. S Rajasekaran.
- GR Vijay Kumar, S Basu: Range of Motion.
F.R.C.S.(London), F.R.C.S. (Neurosurgery), CCST (UK), Spine Fellowship (USA), Skull Base& Vascular Fellowship (USA)
- Council Member of the AO Spine India Chapter from May 2006-2008.
- Chairperson for Education (Neuro) of the AOSpine Asia Pacific region from May 2008-Aug 2011.
- Educational Advisor for AOSpine International
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India (ASSI).
- Neurological Society of India (NSI)
- Resident/Fellow Award of the Ohio State Neurosurgical Society, Nov. 1997, Ohio, USA, for best Research Presentation.
- Dr. B.C. Roy Memorial Award for Best Student, Medical College, Calcutta, 1989.
- University Gold Medal for Best Student, Calcutta University, 1988.
- University Gold Medal in Surgery, Calcutta University, 1988.
- University Gold Medal in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Calcutta University, 1988.
- Sir Frank Connor Silver Medal for Best Student in Surgery, Medical College, Calcutta, 1988.
- Gold Medal in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical College, Calcutta,1987.
- Goodeve Prize in Obstetrics & Gynecology, Medical College, Calcutta, 1987