As per GOI Notification No. 03/2022 - Central Tax (Rate), GST of 5% is applicable* on all room charges exceeding Rs. 5000 per day (with the exception of ICU), for receiving treatment within our hospitals. (*On all discharges starting 18th July, 2022)

Media Room

Fortis Noida successfully treats patient from Bulandshahr with a Rare Brain Tumour

Date : April 20, 2016

Fortis Hospital, Noida successfully treated a 34 year old patient suffering from a rare brain tumor through surgical procedures. The neuro surgical team was led by Dr. Rahul Gupta, Senior Consultant, Neuro-Surgery, Fortis Hospital, Noida.

Manju Singh’s suffering began with vision trouble in the left eye initially. A visit to a local ophthalmologist and medication thereafter led to no improvement. Subsequently, her left eye started losing vision; but the right eye returned to normalcy. When she was presented to Dr. Rahul Gupta at Fortis Hospital, Noida she has very little vision left on her left eye.

Further diagnosis revealed the loss of vision in the patient was due to a brain tumour called the Meningioma. The meningioma is a type of tumor that develops from the meninges, the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. Almost 90% of meningioma are diagnosed as benign tumors, but the remaining 10% can be malignant. Meningiomas are known to grow slowly and achieve a relatively large size depending on the location. As the tumor increases in size the symptoms start showing up. The most common symptoms are headaches, seizures, blurred vision, weakness in arms or legs, numbness and speech problems

The primary treatment for these tumors is surgical procedures which are tailored to the size and location of the tumor. Complete removal of the tumor is the ideal result. After investigations, left frontal craniotomy and total excision of meningioma was performed successfully. Patient’s vision restored gradually and now she is leading a normal life.    

Dr. Rahul Gupta, Senior Consultant, Neuro Surgery, Fortis Hospital, Noida said, “Meningioma are usually non-cancerous tumour and tend to compressed important parts of the brain as they grow in size. This can have harmful effects and the tumors are best removed at the earliest.  The occurrence of this tumor is rare in a person as young as 34 years and presented challenges to us. Our efforts yielded in getting this patient back on her feet.”

The patient, Manju, said, “The symptoms I was undergoing was worrying us about what I was suffering from. My family and I are very thankful to Dr. Gupta for bringing me back from deteriorating further and also putting me back on my feet.”

Meningiomas account for about 27 percent of primary brain tumors and are known to have been detected more in women as compared to men. Meningiomas are common tumors, with an approximate annual incidence of 1 in 16,000 accounting for roughly 25% of primary central nervous system neoplasms. According to the (World Health Organization [WHO] grade I), almost 80% of the tumors are classified as histologically benign but more than 25% cannot be cured due to inaccessible location or invasiveness.

For detailed Press Release - Click here

PrintCopy TextGo Back


Feedback Form