How To Reduce Chances of Kidney Cancer?
Dr. Aman Gupta Feb 06, 2020
How to reduce chances of Kidney Cancer?
- Stop smoking/Tobacco: it doubles the risk
- Obesity increases the risk: maintain optimal body weight
- High blood pressure increases the risk: control BP
- Eat healthy: more fruits and vegetables, less fat
Other risk factors are:
- Chronic kidney disease and dialysis
- Exposure to cadmium: paints and welding industry
- Some genetic conditions
Early signs of Kidney Cancer?NONE!!! Often detected incidentally on ultrasound done for other purpose.
- Blood in urine
- Lump felt in tummy
So be aware. Go for an annual health check up( easy and affordable in India !!) Watch your urine for any blood before you flush your commode.
Causes of poor urinary stream in menImagine urine flow like water flowing out of a tap. There can be two causes of water not flowing with good stream out of a tap:
- Tap tubing or channel( URETHRA) is blocked.
- Motor( BLADDER MUSCLE) pumping the water into the tap from the reservoir(BLADDER) is not functioning properly generally due to faulty wiring( nerve supply to bladder)
Causes of a blocked tap( urinary passage)
- Stricture ( scarring ) of urethra: can only be corrected surgically
- Enlarged prostate( benign or cancerous): can be treated with medicines and surgery
- Stone in urinary passage or urinary bladder
- A bladder cancer located near bladder outlet
- Phimosis( tight foreskin)
Causes of poor functioning pump ( weak baldder)
- Diabetes, long standing
- Any problem at level of brain, spine or nerves which supply urine bladder(wiring of the pump): stroke, brain Tumor, spine compression due to disc prolapse or cancer and Lots other neurological problems.
- Medicines causing weakness of bladder like anticholinergics
See a urologist for a weak urine stream and majority causes are easily treatable. Ignoring the symptoms may lead to missing a serious underlying cause or risking serious complications like kidney failure as a result of long standing urine obstruction.
Meet the doctor
Dr. Aman Gupta
ADDITIONAL DIRECTOR UROLOGY | Fortis Vasant Kunj
- Urology | Urology | Uro-Oncology | Kidney Transplant | Robotic Surgery
- 22 Years
Related BlogsView all
Arsenic In Drinking Water Is Linked To Increased Incidence of Bladder Cancer
Dr. Raj Kalyan Gopala Krishna Oct 10, 2019