About Surgical Oncology
Surgical oncology is a medical specialty that uses surgery to diagnose, treat, and prevent cancer. Surgical oncologists learn how to perform different surgeries based on the cancer’s type, location, and stage. They aim to confirm the diagnosis and stage by taking biopsies or removing tumours, get rid of the primary tumours and affected lymph nodes or organs, lower the cancer risk with preventive surgery, increase the treatment effectiveness with supportive surgery, restore the body function/appearance after surgery, and ease the cancer-related pain with palliative surgery. They use techniques such as open, minimally invasive, or robotic surgery. This complex and changing field requires teamwork among various experts such as medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, and others. For specialised care and consultation, book an appointment at top oncology hospitals in India like Fortis Healthcare.
Best Surgical Oncology Hospital in India
Fortis Healthcare is one of the best surgical oncology hospitals in India, offering a comprehensive range of services and facilities for cancer patients. Fortis has a team of highly qualified and experienced surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, and nurses who work together to provide personalised and holistic care. Fortis also has state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment, such as robotic surgery, laparoscopic surgery, intraoperative radiation therapy, and molecular diagnostics, to ensure the highest standards of safety and quality.
Some of the common procedures performed at Fortis for surgical oncology are:
- Colectomy: This procedure involves the surgical removal of all or part of the colon (large intestine). It is commonly performed to treat conditions such as colon cancer, diverticulitis, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Colectomy can be performed through traditional open surgery or minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopic or robotic-assisted surgery.
- Liver biopsy: A liver biopsy is a procedure to obtain a small sample of liver tissue for examination under a microscope. It helps in diagnosing various liver conditions, including liver cancer, cirrhosis, and hepatitis. The biopsy can be performed using a needle inserted through the skin (percutaneous biopsy), during surgery, or via laparoscopy.
- Lumpectomy: Also known as breast-conserving surgery, lumpectomy involves the surgical removal of a tumour (lump) and a small margin of surrounding healthy breast tissue. It is commonly performed to treat early-stage breast cancer while preserving as much of the breast as possible. Lumpectomy is often followed by radiation therapy to reduce the risk of cancer recurrence.
- Mastectomy: Mastectomy involves surgically removing one or both breasts. This procedure is used to treat breast cancer when a lumpectomy isn't possible or when cancer has spread throughout the breast. Types of mastectomy procedures include total (simple) mastectomy, skin-sparing mastectomy, and nipple-sparing mastectomy. Reconstruction options may be available following mastectomy.
- Mohs surgery: Mohs micrographic surgery is a specialised technique used to treat certain types of skin cancer, particularly those with high-risk features or located in cosmetically sensitive areas. During Mohs surgery, doctors remove thin layers of skin and check it under a microscope until they no longer find any cancer cells, which helps to minimize damage to healthy tissue.
- Sentinel node biopsy: This procedure involves the removal and examination of the sentinel lymph node(s), which is the first lymph node(s) to which cancer cells are likely to spread from a primary tumour. Sentinel node biopsy helps determine the extent of cancer spread and guides further treatment decisions, such as the need for additional lymph node removal or adjuvant therapy.
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR): EMR is a minimally invasive procedure used to remove abnormal tissue (lesions or early-stage cancers) from the digestive tract, including the oesophagus, stomach, and colon. It is performed using an endoscope equipped with special instruments to lift and remove the targeted tissue, allowing for precise and localised treatment while preserving surrounding healthy tissue.
Get to Know our Team of Experts for Surgical Oncology Treatments
At Fortis Healthcare, as one of the top oncology hospitals in India our team of experienced surgical oncologists delivers high-quality and compassionate cancer care. We specialise in various cancers and use the most advanced techniques and technologies to ensure the best outcomes. We focus on minimally invasive procedures that reduce recovery times and discomfort. We also provide customised support to our patients and their families, addressing their physical and emotional needs. Our team is committed to excellence and aims to be the leading choice for surgical oncology in India, offering every patient the best opportunity to overcome cancer.
Cost Of Treatment
The cost of treatment for surgical oncology at Fortis depends on various factors, such as the type and stage of cancer, the type and extent of surgery, the need for additional therapies, the duration of hospital stay, and the insurance coverage. Fortis offers affordable and transparent pricing for its services, and also provides various payment options and financial assistance for the patients. We also have tie-ups with several insurance companies and third-party administrators to facilitate the claims process and reimbursement. To get an estimate of the cost of treatment for surgical oncology, contact us or book an appointment online with the experts for more details.
Why Fortis is Best Hospital for Surgical Oncology Treatment
Fortis is the best hospital for surgical oncology treatment in India because of its:
- Expertise: At Fortis, we have a team of highly skilled and experienced surgeons and oncologists, who are trained in the best institutions in India and abroad. They have performed thousands of successful surgeries and have achieved excellent outcomes for the patients.
- Technology: Our state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment, such as robotic surgery, laparoscopic surgery, intraoperative radiation therapy, and molecular diagnostics, to ensure the highest standards of safety and quality. Our facilities are equipped with advanced facilities for intensive care, blood bank, pathology, radiology, and pharmacy, to provide comprehensive and integrated care.
- Care: With personalised and holistic care for the patients we take into account their physical, emotional, and social needs. We also have a multidisciplinary team of nurses, counsellors, dietitians, physiotherapists, and palliative care specialists, who provide support and guidance throughout the treatment journey. Our patient-centric approach, involving the patients and their families in the decision-making process ensures satisfaction and comfort at every step.
- Excellence: Fortis stands proud with a reputation for excellence and innovation in the field of surgical oncology, as evidenced by its accreditations, awards, and recognitions. We are accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH), the Joint Commission International (JCI), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and have also received several other awards and honours, such as the Best Hospital for Oncology in India by The Week, the Best Hospital for Medical Tourism in India by FICCI, and the Best Hospital for Patient Safety and Quality by the Association of Healthcare Providers of India (AHPI).
Fortis Escorts Hospital, Amritsar
- Cardiac Sciences
- Dental Science
- Emergency and Trauma
- Endocrine Surgery
- Foetal Medicine
- Gastroenterology and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- General Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- Medical Genetics
- Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Neurointerventional Radiology
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Organ Transplant
- Pain and Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Medicine
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Support Specialties
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transfusion Medicine
- Vascular Surgery