About Cardiac Sciences
The term cardiology is derived from the Greek words ‘cardia’ which refers to the heart and ‘logy’ meaning the study of. Cardiology is the study and treatment of disorders of the heart and the blood vessels. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart defects, coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology. A person with heart disease or cardiovascular disease is usually referred to a cardiologist. The cardiology team at Fortis Heart Hospital is highly experienced in diagnosing and treating diseases of the cardiovascular system. The cardiologist at Fortis Cardiology Hospital advises some tests, and may perform some procedures, such as heart catheterizations, angioplasty, or inserting a pacemaker in order to achieve accurate diagnosis of the problem. There are three main types of cardiology procedures: Invasive, Non-invasive and Interventional.
- Invasive cardiology hospital uses open or minimally-invasive surgery techniques to identify and treat structural or electrical abnormalities within the heart structure. Common types of invasive cardiology include:
- Angioplasty: When plaque clogs the arteries, it becomes difficult for blood to flow normally. Angioplasty inserts a tiny balloon into the clogged vein and pushes plaque against the walls, allowing for increased blood flow.
- Stenting: Stenting is usually done in conjunction with angioplasty. A cardiac stent is a small metal coil which permanently holds a clogged vein open.
- Non-invasive cardiology hospital identifies heart problems without using any needles, fluids, or other instruments inserted into the body. Non-invasive cardiologists utilize techniques such as:
- Nuclear cardiology: A non-invasive study of cardiovascular disorders by means of various types of imaging which may use radioactive elements.
- Echocardiography: The usage of ultrasound waves to create images of the heart and surrounding structures in order to identify how well the heart pumps blood, infections, and structural abnormalities.
- Cardiac electrophysiology: Study and testing of the electrical currents which generate heartbeats.
- Stress tests: Stress testing usually involves exercise which is closely monitored by the cardiologist. These exercises provide information about how a person’s heart performs under physical stress.
- Heart monitors: Heart monitors may also be called a Holter monitor or cardiac event recorder. Heart monitors are essentially tape recorders for your heart’s electrical activity over a set amount of time.
- CT scans: CT scans produce images of the affected area examined by the cardiologist for any heart diseases and atherosclerosis.
- Interventional cardiology is a non-surgical technique which uses a catheter – a small, flexible tube – to repair damaged or weakened vessels, narrowed arteries, or other affected parts of the heart structure. Common conditions treated by interventional cardiology hospitals include:
- Coronary artery disease: Narrowing of the arteries which supply the heart muscle with blood and oxygen.
- Heart valve disease: Occurs when the valves which control blood flow into the heart’s chambers are not working correctly.
- Peripheral vascular disease: Your heart can also be affected by clogged or hardened veins and arteries in the other parts of your body.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, Amritsar
In a heartfelt letter to Dr. Jawali, the author expresses their delight in seeing him on Chandana TV and reminisces about their own experience with him. Dr. Krishna, their son-in-law, had considered various options for the author's CABG surgery, ultimately choosing Fortis Hospital, thanks to Dr. Jawali's expertise and the assurance of a successf…Fortis Hospital BG Road Bangalore
Dear Team, This is to provide you with feedback regarding our recent experience at Fortis, Bannerghatta Rd. I would like to express our gratitude for the care and support provided by Dr. Jawali and his team. Their diligence and skill helped improve my mother’s condition. Dr. Jawali provided continuous care and advice before and during the admiss…Fortis Hospital BG Road Bangalore
From no hope of saving my father to having my father walking and smiling with me is possible only because of the Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi. The life-changing CRT-D implant done by Dr. Aparna Jaswal, Director of Electrophysiology & Cardiac Pacing and her team gave my father a new ray of hope.Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, New Delhi
Mr. Piyush Sheth complained of chest pain and sweating episodes. His blood pressure was dangerously low at 60 systolic (normal: 120/80 mm Hg). An ECG revealed a significant heart attack (Inferoposterior MI) with a fast heart rate. His oxygen levels were only 70% (normal: above 90%). He had Cardiogenic shock, leading to low blood pressure and lun…Hiranandani Fortis Hospital, Vashi, Mumbai
I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to Dr. Prashant Pawar and the team at Fortis Hiranandani Hospital Vashi. I came to them with chest pain, which led to a cardiac arrest during an ECG. The angiography revealed a 100% blockage in my left main coronary artery…Hiranandani Fortis Hospital, Vashi, Mumbai
I salute the dedication, expertise, and professionalism of Fortis Kalyan doctors who were prompt in reviving my friend from a massive heart attack. I thank the cardiac surgeon who left his festive celebrations at home and immediately arrived at the hospital to carry out all medical procedures late in the night. Such dedication to save a person’s…Fortis Hospital, Kalyan, Mumbai
This is the case of an ICD implantation that saved the life of 59-year-old cardiac arrest patient, Mrs. Baljinder Kaur from Geeta Colony, New Delhi. Under the guidance of Dr. Sanjeev Gera (Director & HOD - Cardiology, Fortis Hospital, Noida), she was administered medicines until she was stable. Afterward, she received an ICD implantation (a…Fortis Hospital, Noida
Good services given by Dr Rakesh Jaswal sir and good treatment too plus good behavior of Dr Rakesh sir and his team members Radhika mam and Dr honey. Fortis mohali is best in cardio team.Fortis Hospital, Mohali
Life-Saving MICS surgery of a 4 years old child for a hole in the heartFortis Hospital, Noida
Explore blogsView all
- Dental Science
- Emergency and Trauma
- Endocrine Surgery
- Foetal Medicine
- Gastroenterology and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- General Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- Medical Genetics
- Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Neurointerventional Radiology
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Organ Transplant
- Palliative Medicine
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Support Specialties
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transfusion Medicine
- Vascular Surgery