About General Physician
Fortis Healthcare is one of the best general physician hospitals in India and specializes in all types of general physician treatments at affordable costs, making it the best general physician hospital in India. Book your appointment online.
A general physician, also known as the primary care physician (PCP) is the first point of contact for common medical conditions and routine investigations. They specialize in primary care medicine and are trained to provide comprehensive healthcare for people of all ages, genders, and backgrounds. They focus on restoring and maintaining a person’s overall physical and mental health. They function as a part of a larger team that includes nurses, pharmacists, psychiatrists, and others to support holistic care. As advocates for preventive care and health, they play a significant role in reducing disease occurrence and improving overall quality of life.
Structure of the Department of General Physicians
The structure of the Department of General Physicians depends on the size of the facility and consists of the following:
- Clinical Staff: The team includes general physicians, nurses, physician assistants, psychiatrists, dietitians, caregivers, and other health staff. Through its multidisciplinary approach, the team ensures that patients get comprehensive care according to their individual needs.
- Specialized Clinics:
- The chronic disease management clinic focuses on diagnosing, treating, and maintaining chronic conditions.
- The women’s health clinic aims to provide healthcare services for women, including reproductive health, gynecological care, and preventive health screenings.
- The pediatric clinic offers care services for infants and children, including immunizations and management of injuries and illnesses.
- The geriatric clinic specializes in the healthcare needs of elderly people and consists of managing chronic illnesses, preventive care, and other geriatric requirements.
- Education and Training Units:
- Medical Education: The unit facilitates regular training programs to enhance the clinical skills and knowledge of the clinical staff.
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): The department provides ongoing education and professional development opportunities for physicians and other clinical staff to stay updated with advances in medical practices.
- Quality Control and Research Initiatives:
- The department ensures that the quality of services and the safety of patients are given the utmost priority.
- It conducts clinical studies and participates in research collaborations to advance medical knowledge and enhance patient outcomes.
Responsibilities of General Physicians
General physicians are considered very responsible doctors due to several key factors that are part of their role in preventing illnesses and promoting health.
Their responsibilities include:
- Assessment: They conduct regular health assessments to keep people healthy and avoid hospital admission.
- They advise routine health screenings such as mammograms, pap smears, blood pressure checks, cholesterol screenings, and vaccinations.
- They offer guidance on lifestyle changes, including diet modification, exercise, and change of habits (alcohol consumption, smoking, etc.).
- Diagnosis: They evaluate symptoms and perform physical examinations to identify potential risk factors and diagnose early signs of disease.
- Disease Management: They treat and monitor acute conditions and manage chronic conditions to prevent progression.
- Collaboration: They refer people to other specialists for further evaluation or if urgent or specialized treatment is required.
- Education: They educate people about their health conditions and encourage them to cooperate and participate in the treatment process.
- Emergency Care: During a health emergency, a general physician can provide life-saving treatment until emergency services arrive.
Conditions Treated by General Physicians
- Infections: General physicians can treat common infections like colds, flu, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, and skin infections.
- Chronic Illnesses: They help manage chronic conditions such as diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), asthma, arthritis, and heart disease.
- Injuries: They can attend to minor injuries like sprains, strains, cuts, and burns and are also equipped to provide wound care and suturing.
- Mental Health: General physicians can diagnose and treat common mental health conditions like depression and anxiety.
- Gastrointestinal Problems: They can diagnose and treat health conditions like acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and food allergies.
- Respiratory Issues: They can diagnose and treat conditions like asthma, bronchitis, and pneumonia.
Why are General Physicians Important?
Their expertise in managing a wide range of health issues and their role in collaborating with specialists as well as advocating for patient health makes general physicians an important part of the health ecosystem.The below-mentioned reasons define the scope of the work of a general physician.
- General physicians are trained to handle all kinds of non-surgical general diseases (both simple and complex) as they are knowledgeable about all body parts, unlike specialists who specialize in only a single organ or system.
- General physicians go through a more rigorous and extensive training program as part of their education than specialists.
- They offer the surgeon a comprehensive report on risk factors that the patient might have related to the surgery and can assist in post-operative care.
- They build long-term relationships with patients and offer advice for general health and well-being, while specialists solve the problem through surgery.
What to Expect While Consulting a General Physician?
An appointment with a general physician appointment may last 10 to 30 minutes. With emerging advanced trends in health care services, they can also provide consultation over the phone or through a video call.
- Initial assessment of the condition through a physical examination
- Discussion about symptoms and medical history
- Prescription of diagnostic tests
- Diagnosis of the health condition
- Development of a treatment plan (medicines or lifestyle changes)
- Referral to a specialist or arranging a follow-up appointment
General physicians are the backbone of healthcare, providing essential services ranging from preventive care to managing chronic conditions. Understanding the role of a physician and awareness about when to approach a general physician can help a person oversee their health and well-being effectively. Fortis, an eminent healthcare provider with a team of highly skilled and experienced general physicians and clinical staff, offers differential and comprehensive services to ensure the health and well-being of its patients.
Fortis Escorts Hospital, Amritsar
Explore blogsView all
- Cardiac Sciences
- Dental Science
- Emergency and Trauma
- Endocrine Surgery
- Foetal Medicine
- Gastroenterology and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- General Surgery
- Infectious Diseases
- Infertility medicine
- Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Sciences
- Medical Genetics
- Mental Health and Behavioural Sciences
- Neurointerventional Radiology
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Organ Transplant
- Pain and Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Medicine
- Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Support Specialties
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transfusion Medicine
- Vascular Surgery