Building Healthy Relationships At The Workplace
Maintaining a healthy working space is not just the responsibility of one individual, but of the whole team. It is only possible for a group to work competently if everyone comes together and works towards a common goal. Thus, it is important for team members to proactively take steps towards building a healthy equation with one another.
Importance of building healthy relationships at the workplace:
1. Builds a progressive and cooperative culture – A team that shares a healthy space can impact each other’s working style. A healthy culture will encourage positive interaction that can be helpful in alleviating stress, being satisfied with the job, encouraging employees to strive for progress, and improving overall well-being.
2. Helps in resolving conflicts – Healthy relations among employees can give them a chance at having better mutual understanding, thereby helping them resolve conflicts internally. In this way, the unnecessary conflicts can be easily taken care of and the team can focus on the important things.
3. Builds trust – When people communicate and get to know each other, they develop a sense of trust. It can help them rely upon each other indifficult situations and at times of uncertainty which inculcates a sense of belongingness and loyalty.
4. Motivates employees - When the whole team comes together, it encourages them to work as one unit and increases their overall productivity. In addition, it also helps them adapt to the work environment, ensuring better results.
Building healthy relationships at the workplace:
1. Open and effective communication – Having open communication can be a challenge for some employees. This can widen the gap among team members, leading to a rise in conflicts and misunderstandings. So, the key to building healthy relations is to motivate your colleagues to communicate as it can instil confidence and trust in the team.
2. Maintain a respectful culture – While working with people from different hierarchical levels and coming from diverse backgrounds and experiences, it is important to stay mindful of maintaining everyone’s dignity and respect. No one should feel disrespected because of something you say or do.
3. Always draw a boundary– Maintaining a professional boundary is vital. One should know what information to share in a professional setting. Sharing too much personal information can get problematic later on and make your co-workers feel uncomfortable, intimidated orbounded.
4. Refrain from indulging in rumours and gossip – Actively refrain from getting involved in any kind of negative talk as it hampers individual growth and can also lead to an unhealthy working environment. Be the one who discourages those around them as well to stop engaging in conversations about others which are not constructively designed.
5. Help and support your peers – Providing help to your co-workers can instil oneness and trust in the team and motivate them to do better. It also helps you to network and build healthy relations in the organization. These are the cornerstones of creating greater connectedness and engagement.
Healthy working relationships can benefit the team's performance and the growth of individuals as well as the organization. It is beneficial that everyone in the organization adopt measures in their individual capacity to create an environment of positive interactions for the team and the organization to flourish.
To know more about the Fortis Workplace Mental Health Initiative, write to us at email@example.com or call on +918588807193. Follow on Telegram at https://t.me/fortismentalhealth for more on Workplace Mental Health.