Dr. K R Balakrishnan
Director - cardiac sciences | chief cardiothoracic
Fortis Malar Hospital, Adyar
Cardiac Surgery/ Cardio Thoracic Vascular Surgery
Dr.K R Balakrishnan graduated with an MBBS from JIPMER, Pondicherry in the year 1976. Thereafter, he completed his sub-specialist training in MS (General Surgery) from AIIMS in New Delhi in 1980. Here, he was felicitated with a Hiralal gold medal in surgery. He then went on to finish his M. Ch (Cardiothoracic Surgery) from KEM Hospital, the University of Bombay in 1982.
This doctorate degree course equipped him with an evidence-based approach to healthcare practice while also handing him with refined clinical expertise in surgery. In addition, he was awarded a distinction in M.Ch which was deemed to be the first-ever distinction awarded by Bombay University in the Cardio-Thoracic Specialty. He has also received numerous awards for his work and his work has been published in some of the highest-ranking medical journals.
MBBS degree from the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry in 1976.
Masters in Surgery with a sub-specialization in General Surgery from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi in 1980
M. Ch in Cardiothoracic Surgery from KEM Hospital, Mumbai in 1982.
- He was bestowed upon the honor of the prestigious Hiralal gold medal in surgery to acknowledge and recognize his excellence in the field of surgery.
- Throughout his career, Dr. Balakrishnan has contributed to the medical community through the publication of multiple articles, book chapters, and presentations at numerous national and international conferences.
- He has extensive research experience in molecular biology of ventricular hypertrophy and has also actively engaged with various institutions to develop several novel surgical techniques such as Pulsatile and continuous flow LVADs.
- He also has gained international recognition for overseeing first pediatric heart transplant surgery in India which was performed on a two-year nine-month-old international patient from Russia.
- The dedication and prowess he brings to the field of cardiology and to the medical profession is without dispute as he successfully carried out a heart transplant operation on a 78-year-old man in Chennai – possible the oldest individual in the city to undergo a heart transplant.
- In 2017, he was awarded with a FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) Special Jury Award for his contributions to healthcare and medical research in the country.