Surgical interventions that are performed to treat heart ailments is commonly known as cardiac surgery.
Some of the common heart surgeries include– • Aortic Surgery - Carried out to repair / replace aortic aneurysms & dissections
• Aortic Valve Surgery that is performed to repair or replace aortic valve. It can be carried out in the following manner - Endoscopic - Non Sternotomy - MAZE Procedures for AF
• Arrhythmia surgery - A surgical procedure to correct irregular heart rhythms such as atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia.
• Corrective surgery to fix or treat a genetic heart defect or Congenital heart surgery
• Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) – Commonly known as Heart Bypass surgery/ Coronary Bypass surgery, is a surgical procedure which creates alternate routes for blood to flow to the heart tissue, bypassing the narrowed/blocked arteries (leading to what is known as Coronary Artery Disease). For this purpose, a healthy blood vessel (also called a graft) taken from one area of patient’s own body is placed around the narrowed/blocked area to restore blood flow to the heart. The goal of this procedure is to relieve symptoms of coronary artery disease (including angina), enable the patient to resume a normal lifestyle and to lower the risk of a heart attack or other heart problems.
• Surgery for heart failure - LVAD or Left ventricular assist device - A device that aids in the pumping function circulating blood inside the body. - Left ventricular remodeling/surgical ventricular restoration – This is a technique that provides the heart with a more normal shape post a MI, allowing the heart to pump blood efficiently. - Heart transplant - A surgery to treat end stage heart failure - a condition that occurs when the heart can't pump enough oxygenated blood to meet the needs of the body's organs.
• Awake heart surgeries (on or off-pump cardiac surgeries under high thoracic epidural without general anaesthesia)
• Cardiothoracic and vascular procedures / surgery o Bypass surgery - Off-pump - Keyhole o Major Aortic Cardiac Aneurysm Surgeries o Minimal access aortic arch replacement o Aortic surgery - Hybrid - Endovascular aortic surgery
At Fortis, our hospitals are also equipped with dedicated Cardiothoracic ICUs with up to 1:1 nursing ratio, 24X7. Each ICU is equipped with • Color Doppler system • Echocardiography (ECG) system • Continuous oxygen supply • Infusion pumps • Defibrillator • Ventilators • Pressure monitoring systems • Temporary pace maker both transdermal and transvenous • Intra-aortic balloon pump • ABG (Blood Gas machine) • Electrolytes analysis machines